Around the world, life-saving blood transfusions are performed every second. Still, many countries face chronic blood shortages. A safe and secure blood supply is an essential part of any health care system, but current donation-based systems are unable to keep up with the ever-increasing global demand. Membio is on a mission to provide the world with a safe and sustainable supply of blood. We’ll do this by making fully functional red blood cells, in the lab, with no donors required.
–How You’ll Make a Difference at Membio-
In order to generate an unlimited amount of fully functional red blood cells from a single stem cell donation, we need specialized cell lines. The process of generating and optimizing these cell lines is what you’ll be focusing on. This is a critical area of development for Membio, as we are operating at the edge of current scientific understanding. You will be a key part of the team responsible for moving our scientific program towards major milestones, redefining what is possible along the way.
In one sentence, you are responsible for generating, evaluating, and ensuring the quality of our cell lines and the red blood cell products derived from them.
In your role, you will:
- Design, perform, and analyze experiments to generate immortalized cell lines and assess impact on performance and cell quality.
- Enhance the productivity of our cell lines and red blood cell manufacturing process.
- Ensure your expertise, considerations, and ideas are shared with the Membio team.
- Perform literature reviews and develop technical project plans with budget estimates.
- Work with your supervisor and fellow teammates to determine project priorities, deliverables, and timelines.
- Summarize and share results with your supervisor and teammates during regular project review meetings.
- Propose project modifications and additional projects as required.
- Manage lab inventory, including procurement of approved materials and equipment.
- Develop SOPs and ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and our quality management system.
- Have fun in a challenging and supportive environment!
This role requires that you know how to:
- Perform mammalian cell culture and assess cell quality.
- Independently design, perform, and analyze experiments.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Learn quickly within a dynamic environment.
- Manage your time effectively and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Thrive in ambiguity and be self-motivated.
It would be great if you also knew:
- Approaches for optimizing stem cell culture performance.
- Methods for differentiating CD34+ cells into red blood cells.
- Methods for assessing the quality of red blood cells or cell therapies.
- Hematology, Transfusion Medicine, Immunology, Pharmacology, and/or Erythropoiesis.
- Requirements for operating within an ISO9001, GLP or cGMP compliant environment
We are a team of scientists, technologists, and entrepreneurs who believe in pushing the boundaries of what is possible to make breakthroughs that will have a positive impact on the world happen. We fundamentally believe that the only way to achieve our ambitious goals is to work as a team. This is why we prioritize people and building a transparent and supportive culture, in which our team feels empowered to take strategic risks and test new ideas. We work hard to move the needle, but we also have fun doing it! If you’re a highly engaged creative problem solver, looking to make an impact in your next role, you’ll fit right in!
–Why You’ll Love Working at Membio-
We know that the people on our team are the most valuable asset we have, which is why we make the happiness and well-being of our team a priority! This starts at the foundation with an intentional culture of openness, collaboration, and support, and extends through to the formal programs we have in place.
In addition to our employee health and dental benefits program, every employee at Membio has access to our Personal Health and Well-Being Program. This program is designed to flexibly support employees so that they can improve their health and well-being in the ways that make the most sense for them. Whether this means putting extra resources toward extended vision care, purchasing a gym membership, paying for additional support at home, or something else – we let you tell us how we can best support you. In addition, every employee also has access to our Professional Development Program, which is designed to flexibly support employees who wish to advance their professional development in the ways that most interest them.
Membio is currently head-quartered in Kitchener-Waterloo, within the Toronto-Waterloo Region Corridor. Home to one of North America’s fastest growing tech hubs, Canada’s Most Innovative University 28 years running, and a vibrant and diverse community, we are located in one of the best places to live and make innovation happen!
-What You Can Expect as a Candidate-
We know that applying to roles and interviewing with companies can be stressful and takes a lot of time and effort. We appreciate the time and effort our candidates put in and are committed to being transparent in everything we do. We promise that if you submit an application, you will hear back from us, no matter the outcome.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com
Visit the job posting on the original website here.