Around the world, life-saving blood transfusions are performed every second. Still, many countries face chronic blood shortages. A safe and secure blood supply is an essential part of any health care system, but current donation-based systems are unable to keep up with the ever-increasing global demand. Membio is on a mission to provide the world with a safe and sustainable supply of blood. We’ll do this by making fully functional red blood cells, in the lab, with no donors required.
-How You’ll Make an Impact at Membio-
Genetic engineering is essential for us to generate and optimize our specialized cell lines. The design and implementation of genetic strategies that drive productivity and generate novel red blood cell products will be your primary focus. This is a critical area of development for Membio, as we are operating at the edge of current scientific understanding. You will be a key part of the team responsible for moving our scientific program towards major milestones, redefining what is possible along the way.
In one sentence, you are responsible for designing and implementing targeted improvements to our genetic strategy that will optimize productivity.
In your role, you will:
- Design, perform, and analyze experiments to generate genetic constructs and associated cell lines.
- Enhance the productivity of our cell lines and red blood cell manufacturing process.
- Ensure your expertise, considerations, and ideas are shared with the Membio team.
- Perform literature reviews and develop technical project plans with budget estimates.
- Work with your supervisor and fellow teammates to determine project priorities, deliverables, and timelines.
- Summarize and share results with supervisor and teammates during regular project review meetings.
- Propose project modifications and additional projects as required.
- Manage lab inventory, including procurement of approved materials and equipment.
- Develop SOPs and ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and our quality management system.
- Have fun in a challenging supportive environment!
This role requires that you know how to:
- Translate your understanding of human genetics into targeted genetic strategies.
- Implement those genetic strategies into human cells using a variety of techniques.
- Independently design, perform, and analyze experiments.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Learn quickly within a dynamic environment.
- Manage your time effectively and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Thrive in ambiguity and be self-motivated.
It would be great if you also knew:
- Considerations and specific methods for genetically modifying stem cells.
- Considerations and specific methods for genetically modifying CD34+ cells.
- The impact of immortalization on cells.
- Genetic drivers of CD34+ differentiation into red blood cells.
- Hematology, Transfusion Medicine, Immunology, and/or Pharmacology.
- Requirements for operating within an ISO9001, GLP or cGMP compliant environment.
We are a team of scientists, technologists, and entrepreneurs who believe in pushing the boundaries of what is possible to make breakthroughs that will have a positive impact on the world happen. We fundamentally believe that the only way to achieve our ambitious goals is to work as a team. This is why we prioritize people and building a transparent and supportive culture, in which our team feels empowered to take strategic risks and test new ideas. We work hard to move the needle, but we also have fun doing it! If you’re a highly engaged creative problem solver, looking to make an impact in your next role, you’ll fit right in!
-Why You’ll Love Working at Membio-
We know that the people on our team are the most valuable asset we have, which is why we make the happiness and well-being of our team a priority! This starts at the foundation with an intentional culture of openness, collaboration, and support, and extends through to the formal programs we have in place.
In addition to our employee health and dental benefits program, every employee at Membio has access to our Personal Health and Well-Being Program. This program is designed to flexibly support employees so that they can improve their health and well-being in the ways that make the most sense for them. Whether this means putting extra resources toward extended vision care, purchasing a gym membership, paying for additional support at home, or something else – we let you tell us how we can best support you. In addition, every employee also has access to our Professional Development Program, which is designed to flexibly support employees who wish to advance their professional development in the ways that most interest them.
Membio is currently head-quartered in Kitchener-Waterloo, within the Toronto-Waterloo Region Corridor. Home to one of North America’s fastest growing tech hubs, Canada’s Most Innovative University 28 years running, and a vibrant and diverse community, we are located in one of the best places to live and make innovation happen!
-What You Can Expect as a Candidate-
We know that applying to roles and interviewing with companies can be stressful and takes a lot of time and effort. We appreciate the time and effort our candidates put in and are committed to being transparent in everything we do. We promise that if you submit an application, you will hear back from us, no matter the outcome.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the original job posting on the website here.