Hello! We are Biomage, a small startup deeply passionate about human health. We work in the area of single cell sequencing analysis – a new technology that has taken research biology by storm. Our mission is to build a world-class single cell analysis platform in the cloud to enable biologists to turn their datasets into meaningful biology and make discoveries.
We are working with several world-class research institutions: our biggest customers are Harvard Medical School, Glasgow Polyomics and Edinburgh Genomics who are also our early adopters. We currently have a waiting list of more customers eager to use the platform!
Our product is open source, you can check it out on Github! Currently, it consists of a React based UI, API written in Node.js and a backend written in Python that computes single cell analysis tasks. Everything is deployed via an automated CI/CD pipeline (Github Actions) to an AWS-managed Kubernetes cluster.
The platform is still in a very early development stage – there are many core features and infrastructure yet to be built. The engineering team consists of Iva and Marcell full time and Stefan part time. There is no division between backend, frontend or testing roles – each engineer contributes to any part of the codebase and is responsible for writing unit tests and completing new features according to the definition of done.
What we offer
- Opportunity to change the world by building tools to help improvement of human health.
- Opportunity to grow the startup with us into a successful company.
- Competitive salary and shares package
- Laptop and any other essential technical equipment.
What you can expect
- An agile, diverse and multidisciplinary team
- A supportive, inclusive and transparent working environment where team mates learn from and help each other all the time.
- A place to look at things differently, challenge and offer solutions.
- You will be working in a (still) small startup where the whole company consists of ~10 people. You will have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact and actively drive change in the technology, direction and culture of the startup.
- A fast-paced environment of continuous improvement where you optimise for impact and velocity.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone who loves collaboration and building software and has done it multiple times before.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work together with the CTO, the CSO, the scientific advisor and the engineering team to architect and build new features, required by users, and help shape our engineering culture and processes.
This position is for full time, 100% remote work, where the official time zone of the engineering team is the one in the UK (GMT, GMT + 1).
We would expect you to:
- Always put the user first.
- Be an active participant and decision maker during technical decisions and discussions.
- Be comfortable to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Be passionate and empathetic – you fall in love with problems, not solutions. You’re a doer, and a helper.
- Create, refine and improve software development processes together with the team, champion and evangelize the lean startup methodology
- Take pride in your work.
- Think like an owner.
- Experiment, test, try, fail and learn continuously.
- Help and mentor more junior team mates.
- Have experience and desire to work as part of a close-knit team.
For this role, you must have:
- Worked multiple years in teams that rapidly ship high-quality software that solves important problems for large numbers of users.
- Have significant experience and knowledge in building container-based cloud applications.
- Have significant professional experience and knowledge in web development
- Proficiency in at least two programming languages.
- Significant experience in conducting code reviews and providing feedback to other engineers.
How to apply
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in contact with you shortly!