Senior Scientist Protein Function
- Clara Foods is a San Francisco based company working towards a disruptive advance in the food ingredients business by creating a world leading fermentation & synthetic biology platform. We are manufacturing animal free proteins with novel functionalities. Following a successful Series B raise in 2019, and with major technology advancements in 2020, the organization is accelerating commercialization of the world’s first animal-free egg protein and expanding its research and development & manufacturing capabilities to support its product pipeline. The organization is working with industry collaborators to make products with higher levels of protein and unique functionalities. Clara Foods has successfully commercialized its first animal free animal.
- The organization is looking for a Senior Scientist, reporting to the VP of Discovery and Research, to lead studies on structure-function relationships of novel proteins coming from our discovery platform.
Apply here: https://clarafoods.applytojob.com/apply/NBI1PYt1BX/Senior-Scientist-Protein-Function?source=indiebio
Reports to: VP of R&D
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Role and Responsibilities:
- Purify proteins and use analytical methods to characterize proteins in biochemical and biophysical assays
- Become an expert on properties of new proteins and interface with food science effort to support new product development
- Keep abreast of latest technologies and drive innovation to streamline methods
- Prepare project proposals, analyze data and share in scientific presentations, write project reports
- Educational background in protein chemistry, protein engineering or related field. PhD preferred, with 5 years of experience, OR M.S. with 8 years of experience, OR B.S. with 10 years of experience
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts of analytical method development
- Proven record of independently managing method development to support protein characterization efforts
- Expected to design, implement, conduct, and interpret experiments with minimal guidance
- Strong communication skills
- Leads from the front – drives excellence in the laboratory through example
Must be Authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
- Experience supervising laboratory personnel
- Creative problem solver
- Excels in scientific creativity, problem solving, collaborating with others and independent thought
- Works well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Results orientated with a drive to succeed
What Clara can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods
Clara Foods is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods aiims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We are bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.