Allied Microbiota, an environmental remediation company that uses microbes to clean soil, has an opening for a Senior Microbiologist/Lab Manager at our site in Stony Brook, NY. We are developing innovative solutions to degrade environmental contaminants. This role is an opportunity to be at the ground floor of a start-up, gaining valuable experience while playing a key role in changing an entire industry. By working with Allied Microbiota to make environmental remediation sustainable and affordable, you will be making a positive impact on public health and the environment.
- Lead microbial strain development for a range of remediation products of commercial interest to Allied Microbiota.
- Perform microbial degradation assays of environmental contaminants, analytical sample preparation and data analysis.
- Coordinate the transfer of bench-scale knowledge to field trials and use field trial data to guide lab experiments.
- Assist in field trials as needed.
- Mentor and manage junior staff.
- Document and report lab activities and manage lab purchasing.
- Contribute to a positive, safe and inclusive work environment.
Skills and Proficiencies:
- Ph.D. degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Chemical Engineering or Master’s Degree with 2+ years industry experience or Bachelor’s Degree with 4+ years of industry experience.
- Hands-on experience in isolating, culturing and characterizing microbial strains.
- Proficient in molecular biology methods, enzyme characterization and media optimization.
- Familiarity with environmental contaminant degradation assays, analytical sample preparation and operating lab-scale fermenters is preferred.
- Experience managing a team.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work across a broad spectrum of responsibilities and juggle multiple priorities.
- Confident, independent, and willing to ask for help when needed.
- Agile quick learner, able to adapt and grow as the company scales.
Allied Microbiota is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability.
Interested applicants, please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org