Clara Foods is a San Francisco based company working towards a disruptive advance in the food ingredients business by creating a world leading fermentation & synthetic biology platform. We are manufacturing animal free proteins with novel functionalities. Following a successful Series B raise in 2019, and with major technology advancements in 2020, the organization is accelerating commercialization of the world’s first animal-free egg protein and expanding its research and development & manufacturing capabilities to support its product pipeline. The organization is working with industry collaborators to produce products with higher levels of protein and unique functionalities. Clara Foods has successfully commercialized its first animal free animal protein product produced by fermentation. The organization is looking for a Sr. Director of Process Development & Manufacturing, reporting directly to the CTO, to lead the process development group, scale-up and commercialization of their second & third protein product.
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Role & Responsibilities:
- Successfully leading the development of novel protein products from lab to manufacturing through scale up processes from 40L, 400L to 50,000L.
- Lead and manage relationships with CMO partners whilst driving fermentation and downstream scale up and technology transfer projects effectively.
- Provide leadership and build a high-performance process and manufacturing organization, coordinating across the business bringing together: R&D, product, regulatory, commercial functions of the organization.
- Provide strategic guidance to the CTO’s office in matters related to technology due diligence and partnership development.
- Educational background in biochemical engineering or related fields. PHD preferred.
- 10-15 years of technical experience with leading process development and manufacturing of novel protein and/or enzyme finished products.
- At least 7 years of direct supervisory experience in managing diverse bioprocess and operational staff in a fast-paced multi-product facility setting.
- Specific experience with the scale up and development of Yeast or Fungal based products.
- Significant direct experience in equipment design and specification and operation of downstream purification equipment such as TFF’s, centrifuges, spray dryers and other solid-liquid separators.
- Strong experience in developing techno-economic models for guiding and optimizing production processes COGS reduction plans.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for manufacturing food ingredients.
- Operational experience in managing bioprocessing facilities and/or facilities producing food grade ingredients and additives.
Track record of leading projects and developing relationships with internal or external manufacturing operations.
- Results orientated with a drive to succeed.
- Excellent communication skills to address diverse audience including C-Level
- Strong technical acumen
- Strategic thought leader who is action oriented and drives from the front.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Ability to deal well with uncertainty and ambiguity.
Energetic with a hands-on approach to management.
What Clara can Offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.