Clara Foods is seeking an Associate Scientist with molecular biology experience, synthetic biology skills, and a desire to master hands on DNA/RNA preparation for Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS). This position requires a strong track record of bench science, high attention to detail, scientific communication skills, and a desire to contribute to a wide array of projects. The position will provide opportunities to cultivate new bench and computational skills while working toward revolutionizing protein production in a fast-paced Biotech environment.
Reports to: Genomics and Data Scientist
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Roles and Responsibilities
- Adhere to all lab safety requirements
- Cultivate microbes and extract high quality genomic DNA and RNA
- Perform construction and QC of nucleic acid libraries
- Study manuals, operate, and maintain machinery related to genomic and RNA sequencing
- Troubleshooting and protocol development for new assays and equipment
- Create reports and present findings to team members
- Perform versatile lab tasks to assist various teams at Clara Foods
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Experience executing various molecular biology techniques (PCR, gel electrophoresis, plasmid construction, DNA isolation) and NGS workflows such as Minion library construction
- Experience with cell culture (microbes or otherwise), including experience using sterile technique.
- Proficiency using genetic construct visualization software (e.g. SnapGene, Benchling, VectorNTI, Serial Cloner, ApE, or other)
- Familiarity with genetic concepts (i.e. chromosomes, genes, genetic mutation and diversity)
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team
- Written, visual, and oral scientific communication
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, or similar program
- Demonstrated experience with laboratory techniques
- Authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
What Clara can Offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.