Clara Foods is looking for a Process Associate I-II who is passionate about changing the food space to join the Fermentation Engineering team. As a Process Associate, you will help implement novel upstream processes to improve recombinant protein production rate, titer, yield and purity. You will primarily be running bioreactors and gathering data to evaluate and optimize key fermentation process parameters. The ideal candidate has strong organization and communication skills and is comfortable working within a small, collaborative team.
Reports to: Senior Process Engineer
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Role and Responsibilities:
- Routine set up, operation, and take down of bioreactors
- Collaborate on experimental design of fermentation experiments
- Record and manage fermentation data in our laboratory database
- Troubleshoot equipment and process issues and implement corrective actions
- Apply creative problem solving to improve laboratory operations
- Perform data analysis to understand the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams
- B.S. in biology, microbiology, chemical engineering, or related field
- 1-4 years of fermentation or cell culture laboratory experience
- Familiarity with aseptic technique and microbiology lab equipment including biosafety cabinets, incubators, autoclaves, and plate readers
- Technical knowledge of fermentation processes preferred
- Experience with design of experiment, statistical analysis, and modeling preferred
- Familiarity with data management and visualization with SQL and Tableau is a plus
- Availability to work occasional weekend shifts
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
What Clara Can Offer
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting – and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.