Contractor / Consultant
Primitives Biodesign is a biomaterials company working to reduce plastics pollution by replacing petroleum-based products with new engineered material systems from biologically derived sources. We are a distributed team of diverse and mission-oriented biodesigners, engineers, makers, and physicists who are energized by complex challenges. Currently, we are seeking a materials engineer contractor/consultant to join the team onsite in downtown San Francisco, CA for a 4-month project, with the possibility of extension. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, reliable, collaborative, and sustainability-minded. You will be responsible for engineering and characterizing biobased materials to support new product development.
To apply, send CV to V@primitives.io
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Design, execute, and conduct materials engineering experiments to develop new biopolymer-based material formulations and processing procedures
● Lead material characterization, data analysis, and documentation efforts of engineered materials
● Iterate on materials formulations with the design strategy team to develop required specifications and properties for various applications
● Work with manufacturing experts to adapt protocols to scale for large productions
● Collaborate with Environmental biologist to ensure engineered materials are compatible with different waste streams.
● Staying current with emerging materials technologies, intellectual property and competitor technology.
Education & Experience:
● Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
● Minimum 2-3 years related work experience in biological/environmental projects and tasks
● Demonstrated ability to conduct complex materials development with proven ability to define and predict structure-property relationships of polymers, additives and composites.
● Ability to communicate effectively with audiences at all levels
● Patents and publications demonstrating creativity are a plus
Working knowledge of the following a plus:
● Life cycle analysis and plastics supply chain
● Waste management facilities
● Environmental regulations and policy
● Understanding of plastic pollution problem
● BPI Certification process
● Familiarity with ASTM testing