Tinctorium is an Oakland-based startup that is making the world of colors more sustainable via microbial fermentation, starting with denim dyeing. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry.
We are hiring a highly motivated Fermentation Scientist to develop a robust, scaleable fermentation process for small molecule products. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
Apply: Fermentation Scientist
- Plan, execute, and analyze bench-scale to pilot-scale experiments for the fermentation of small molecule products.
- Test process improvements based on knowledge of microbial physiology and metabolism.
- Collaborate with downstream processing engineers to develop a manufacturing process that can be executed at commercial scale.
- Interface with contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) to scale the process to pilot scale reactors.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Maintain and fix fermentation equipment as needed. Provide input on new equipment purchases.
- Identify contamination and design measures to avoid it.
- Keep up to date with current literature.
- Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including CMOs or investors.
- PhD with more than 2 years, or MS with over 6 years, or BS with over 8 years relevant industry experience. Degree in chemical engineering, bioengineering, molecular biology, microbiology, or other related field preferred.
- Successful track record of developing fermentation process improvements.
- Experience with operating bench scale and pilot scale bioreactors with sterile technique.
- Strong knowledge of microbial physiology and cellular metabolism.
- Experience with analytical chemistry.
- Experience working with CMOs.
- Able to occasionally work off hours or weekends.
- Independent worker with strong project management skills.
- Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
- Creative problem solver.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
- Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.
*All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
*Tinctorium does not currently offer sponsorship or consideration to those on an H1-B or other similar visas at this time