Hello! We are Biomage, a small startup deeply passionate about human health. We work in the area of single cell sequencing analysis – a new technology that has taken research biology by storm. Our mission is to build a world-class single cell analysis platform in the cloud to enable biologists to turn their datasets into meaningful biology and make discoveries.
We are working with several world-class research institutions: our biggest customers are Harvard Medical School, Glasgow Polyomics and Edinburgh Genomics who are also the early adopters of our platform. We currently have a waiting list of more customers eager to use the platform!
The project is a cloud-based platform, deployed to AWS. The single cell analysis part of the platform is a Python service that computes single cell analysis tasks using R (e.g. Seurat) or python (e.g. Scanpy) packages and returns them back to the front end side (React, Node.js, all deployed to Kubernetes, AWS). The platform is still in a very early development stage – there are many core features and analysis tasks yet to be built.
What we offer
As part of our team, you will have the unique opportunity to:
- Change the world by building tools that enable improvement of human health.
- Help us shape the culture and the direction of Biomage as the company grows.
- Shares package, laptop and any other essential technical equipment for full-time job candidates.
- Competitive salary.
What you can expect
- An agile, diverse and multidisciplinary team
- A supportive, inclusive and transparent working environment where team mates learn from and help each other all the time.
- A place to look at things differently, challenge and offer solutions.
- You will be working in a (still) small startup where the whole company consists of ~10 people. This creates a unique opportunity to make a significant impact and actively drive change in the technology, direction and culture of the startup.
- A fast-paced environment of continuous improvement where you optimise for impact and velocity.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a bioinformatician who is experienced in single cell analysis to join our team and help us build a world-class product that will enable biologists to turn their datasets into meaningful biology.
As Biomage’s bioinformatician, you will work closely with the engineering team, the CSO and Peter Kharchenko to build the bioinformatics part of the features, requested by the users. Until the platform supports end-to-end single cell sequencing analysis, you will help us onboard early adopters by writing and running data processing scripts for our early adopters’ datasets.
This position is for 100% remote work, where the official time zone of the engineering team is the one in the UK (GMT, GMT + 1). In terms of working hours, we are flexible: both full-time and part-time work are available, where full-time work is preferred.
We would expect you to:
- Always put the user first.
- Be an active influencer in technical decisions as well as company processes and culture.
- Be comfortable to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Be passionate and empathetic – you fall in love with problems, not solutions. You’re a doer, and a helper.
- Take pride in your work.
- Experiment, test, try, fail and learn continuously.
- Have experience and desire to work as part of a close-knit team.
In terms of technical skills, we would expect you to have:
- Understanding of core bioinformatics methods and biology concepts involved in functional genomics
- In-depth proficiency with R, including experience with creating and modifying packages, composing advanced ggplot2 plots
- Experience with sequence alignment, demultiplexing and QC procedures commonly used for RNA-seq and scRNA-seq
- Experience with R bioinformatics environments, including BioConductor packages used for RNA-seq, genome sequencing and pathway analysis
How to apply
Send your CV to email@example.com. We will be in contact with you shortly!