Tinctorium is an Oakland-based startup that is making the world of colors more sustainable via microbial fermentation, starting with denim dyeing. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry.
We are hiring a highly motivated Analytical Chemist to help us quantify a range of small molecule dye products and byproducts. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains, scale fermentation and downstream processes, and improve dye quality and purity.
We are seeking a part-time position.
- Develop and validate analytical methods to rigorously determine product purity and concentration.
- Identify product impurities and side products.
- Collaborate across teams to run samples and analyze data.
- Spearhead the establishment of a data management system.
- Ensure proper use, care, calibration, and maintenance of analytical equipment.
- Source new technologies, methods, and equipment to help the company reach its goals.
- Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop and review SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Present data internally as well as with outside stakeholders, including investors and partners.
- PhD, or MS with over 4 years relevant industry experience. Degree in chemistry or related field preferred.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of analytical chemistry methods for small molecule products.
- Experience in an industrial process development setting preferred.
- Proficient in statistics.
- Innovative problem solver.
- Independent, self-motivated worker with strong project management skills.
- Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
- Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.
*All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
*Tinctorium does not currently offer sponsorship or consideration to those on an H1-B or other similar visas at this time